Pregnancy and Back Pain
It is common to suffer from back pain during pregnancy. The ligaments in your body naturally become softer and stretch to prepare you for labour. This can put a strain on the joints of your lower back and pelvis, which can cause back pain.
In the third trimester, levels of a hormone called relaxin increase 10 times. This also contributes to back pain. Relaxin loosens your joints to allow the pelvis to accommodate the enlarging uterus. These loose joints force the muscles of the back and pelvis to work overtime to keep you upright and balanced.
At least 50% of pregnant women will experience back pain. Other areas that may also feel pain and discomfort are
- Neck pain
- Low back pain
- Mid-back pain
- Pelvic pain and pressure
- Aching legs and buttocks
- Sciatica or shooting pain down the leg/foot
- Fatigue and low energy
- Night-time muscle spasms
Try these tips to help minimize your risk of back pain:
- Exercise can help increase muscle support for your aching back. Consult your chiropractor before participating in a new exercise regimen.
- Low-impact cardiovascular activities, such as swimming, walking, or stationary cycling can help relieve pain and maintain fitness.
- Sleep on your left side to reduce the pressure of the uterus on the large blood vessels in the abdomen and optimize blood flow to both mother and baby.
- Place a pillow between your knees to take pressure off your lower back when sleeping on your side.
- Place the pillow under your knees if you sleep on your back.
- Take frequent, short breaks with your feet elevated.
Chiropractic manipulation of the spine can be safe during pregnancy. Back and lower back pain affects millions of Canadians. We will recommend a course of treatment specific to you.
When back pain is affecting your ability to work or enjoy your favourite activities, please consider prenatal chiropractic care.
Dr Natasha Hayden is a pediatric and prenatal chiropractor that is passionate about helping her community discover just how good their bodies are designed to feel, so they can do more of what they love.
Your health goals are within reach with the support of our team.